Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Lost Ones...(Lauryn Hill)


 photo tumblr_mjil5uJoAt1ql5yr7o1_500.gif
Get Into it





"How have you been," Gerald asked, turning the corner and positioning himself against the corner building - across from Riverside Park.  I walked around him, and positioned myself next to him, in the place furthest from the street, just in case he decided to try to push me in front of a car or something.  I wasn’t going to be a fool and set myself up for that idea to take shape and be successful.  'No way!' , I thought as I watched him stare into the traffic, darting his eyes from the car to the park, wondering what I ever saw in him. Wait, I remembered now, it was his skillful sexual acrobatics routine and the calm manner he displayed.

    While waiting on him to say something else, I kept thinking about how Chimeze had been trying really hard with me.  I think he knew that I needed him now and was spending the night with me in my, smallest of the small, room in the rooming house.  He seemed to understand that I was having a hard time getting use to my new surroundings, but he was right by my side: using the shared bathroom, finding new places to eat, and letting me use my microwave cookery to craft meals for him.  He rubbed my back, when I got really depressed about not being where I wanted to be and told me that if I moved to a new state, he would loyally visit me - be it, my new place, at the ends of the earth.

     "However, I really wish you would stay here," he said, indicating the rooming house, the last time I mentioned the thought of fleeing New York State.  I was so depressed sometimes that I couldn’t bring myself to walk out of my room, shower or do anything; so he would bring me bubble tea, kisses, and hop in the bed and cuddle with me until I felt ashamed of myself for being so depressed, when I was so blessed to have someone in my life who dared to care so much, about silly me.  I felt like we were relearning each other, and I was working on letting go of our past issues.  If he could hit that final level and make me feel sexually desired by him, I would continue to do my part to make sure he never left.   
   
   I had also just applied for a new apartment and, with things looking up for me, I couldn’t even connect to that person that I use to be; the abortion scam or the person who sent "proof" of Gerald’s infidelity to his girlfriend.  I really didn’t care about Gerald at all anymore, I had just felt so free over the past few weeks, so unburdened and ready to genuinely try to be someone’s something.  I had a list of recipes that I was ready to try out and bake for Chimeze, cute underwear - that I knew he would like and if I didn’t get the new place, I had a plan.  I had our names on this list, for the park across the way, for 'couples swim'; it was a swimming class for couples: where one person didn’t know how to swim.  Prior to getting sick,  I worked as a lifeguard, and I loved to swim and I wanted him to know how to do everything I did - so we could get in water and I wouldn’t have to worry about watching him like a lifeguard. 

   "I’ve been cool," I replied guardedly to Gerald.  "How’s Chimeze doing," he immediately fired back at me.  "I wouldn’t know, we don’t talk anymore.  He left me," I lied, without skipping a beat.  I don’t know how he had found my living situation, but I wasn’t going to volunteer any additional information to him.  I figured the less he knew about me, the better, especially considering all the water under our bridge; water that had the capacity to turn into a tidal wave and destroy everything I had created this past month.  It was a lot easier to deal with him, now that we had some distance and were no longer sexually involved.  Chimeze seemed to have have been right about all of the sexual gymnastics and taboo bedroom antics that turned me out and made me unreasonable.  "Oh…so is that why you did everything you could to turn Odella against me, because Chimeze left you," he asked rhetorically.  I struggled not to answer.  Instead, I answered, "I don't know what you're talking about," in as innocent a voice as anyone could muster.  

   In a burst of anger he continued.  "So maybe it was Chimeze who sent the package with all of the interesting pictures of you and I to Odella’s.  Her daughter opened the package, you know," he continued, staring into my eyes to see if he could find untruth in them.  "Chimeze wouldn’t ever do that.  It’s not his style.  He wouldn’t go out of his way to hurt someone like that," I protested, as he inched closer.

  "Whatever Ryndra, you barely know him; remember when he was posting up on social media trying to agitate you because he knew that you had chosen me over him - despite my relationship status?  Do you remember the shit he said about you; a bunch of untruths designed to draw mental blood from you?!  He has the style of a bitch; and a bitch sent that package to Odella.  Understand that when I catch up with his bitch ass, he’s gonna wish he learned how to 'stay' and 'heel.'  I already have his address, I took it from your phone when were together…". He looked around, taking in his surroundings militarily, "Yeah… I just wanted to let you know.  So you won’t be surprised when his ass is unavailable to chauffeur your ass to and fro'." 

    I hated when he would minimize Chimeze and I’s relationship the way he did.  He certainly knew I loved Chimeze, more than maybe even Chimeze knew.  Also, he knew I wasn’t going to use anyone for chauffeur services, but I didn’t have anything to prove to him - except one thing:
"Chimeze didn’t send the pictures to your girlfriend," I sighed in frustration.
"Fuck do you know what he did or didn’t do…Like I said, y'all aren’t even together and you don’t know him like –"

   "I know he didn't send those pictures because I sent those pictures.  It was me."
"I figured that the money wouldn’t be enough for you.  When I gave you the five grand, I knew that wouldn’t be the end of this, no matter how much I hoped it would sate your appetite for revenge.  And  I know an abortion doesn’t cost that much, not even for someone with whatever it is that ails your ass.  However, I charged it to the game, because… Odella was cool.  We could've had a decent life together.  I didn’t love her, but her ass sure loved me.  Her ass still loves me, but your ass just wants it all…"

   "I don’t want anything, not any -"  That’s all I got out before he stepped in front of me, blocking the Upper West Side world's view from me.  "Fuck what you want, Ryndra.  I gave you five grand and you couldn’t be cool, so now I own your ass until I say that I don’t…"
He stepped back.  "With Chimeze gone, this shouldn’t be a problem.  I know you, I know what you like… It wont always be easy, but you like it rough sometimes," he growled, grabbing on my ass.  "So now it’s gonna be rough."

   Chimeze was not going to be happy about any of this.  I knew it, and I think Gerald knew that I was still very much in love with and seeing Chimeze.  I wasn’t confirming anything, and I figured it would all work itself out when I completed my moving process; I would be in a totally different part of town, one even less convenient for him to reach, should he ever find it.  I counted down the days in my head, as he licked behind my ear and fondled my breasts, sending dirty shivers up my spine as I sensed he was all the "dirty old-ass man" that Chimeze would  describe him as, whenever he came up in conversation.   I wanted to just give him his money back, but  knew he wouldn’t accept it’s return, he would tax me at a rate I knew I couldn’t afford.  So, I just took a deep breath and did my best to hide my emotions, I was confident that I would be out of the rooming house and in a new place within a month, and I was quite sure that I could handle him without giving in a sexual inch, at least for the next thirty days. 

    "Listen, Gerald, I need you to cease and desist with this PDA mess.  My building doesn’t allow company and this neighborhood is not that type of neighborhood," I said, sliding under his arm and far away enough from the building that he couldn’t pin me in.  "Listen, my mother is scheduled to be stopping by to pick me up shortly.  That’s why I came downstairs to the lobby - to wait for her.  She should be here any minute, and I know you don’t want to run into her," I light-weight threatened.  "Wait, you think I am scared of your old-ass mom," he screamed on incredulously.  "I'm not scared of her," he said, while wildly scanning the cross-streets for the gold Lexus, I’m sure he knew she drove.  

   After a few minutes of postured silence, he straightened his clothes and turned to me.  "I have a job that I have to get ready for, so I’m gonna let you know what's gonna happen now, so there are no excuses or misunderstandings.  As it is in your, and Chimeze’s, best interest, that you follow my directions, Ryndra… every... single... one… to the letter.  Fuck it up, and I will fuck something of your boyfriend's up."

   "Lying-ass, I know you're lying, Ryndra," he whispered menacingly, in my ear.  "Guess how I know," he continued, trying to bait me.  "I’ve known where you lived for over a week.  I know this is when you usually come out of your room, and go shopping, before your ‘Chauffeur of a boyfriend’ picks you up and takes you to do whatever.  I know it isn’t sex, though.  I know that," he said with a laugh.  "It’s funny, I have that nigga stored in my phone as 'Ryndra’s Chauffeur Chimeze’ - I’m not even lying.  That’s what that nigga is - for you, and probably for all those homegirls that he WILL NEVER, EVER get rid of.  He’s shown you that, but, whatever.  Just know that I have no problem busting his tires, his windows and his fucking face, if you don’t do what the fuck I say from now on… I want you to come over to my house this Saturday, and you are staying until Sunday.  I want you to make dinner, so send me some options to choose from.  We are going to eat, watch a movie and reacquaint ourselves with one another…"   

   I looked around, bored. My mom had seen him when she picked me up from his apartment, after he unceremoniously booted me out to prove a point to Odella.  I knew he didn’t want any type of anything with my momma.  But he knew I probably hadn’t told her about the money that I greased from him, and probably didn’t want to have to do so, so he silently held that information.  All hell would break lose if he divulged that to my mother.  It was clear that he wasn’t leaving me alone until he was good and ready.

   That was the beginning of his ransom list, and the  beginning to the list of lies that I began to tell Chimeze, to keep him safe.  I didn’t have time to block the accusation and judgement that I knew would come if I opened up about this, and truth be told, it was all my fault; so why weigh anyone else down with its weight and drama if not absolutely necessary.  'I can handle this… I can handle him… 30 days or less, to go - I told myself' as I watched him walk away, holding his camera in one hand and my peace of mind in the other.

   I was right to worry, as thirty-five days later, Gerald showed up to my new place - with all of my ‘supposed-to-be-forwarded-from-the-post-office mail’ in hand, talking about, "So, you aren’t gonna let me in?  I thought we were cool, Ryndra…"  And, just like that, he knew where I lived and I saw no way to escape him.  For the first time of what eventually became many times.  I seriously worried, and no matter how hard I tried to come up with a solution, I couldn’t. 
***

    Back then, just like now, I wanted Chimeze’s counsel and forgiveness, but I knew he didn’t have any counsel to offer and probably less forgiveness than counsel.  I wanted forgiveness, but I didn’t need it.  I knew I had to soldier this out on my own if I wanted to be successful.  All talking to Chimeze about this would do is turn my man into my enemy. 

    Chimeze damned sure knew how to be an enemy.  'What the fuck is it with these Africans and social media wars,' I thought.  This fool could see me post a picture of a beloved dead relative, and go to a place that allowed him to post something about their cause of death probably having to do with my lies.  I watched him pick me apart on social media before, and he was so ruthless as to lie on me.  Talking shit like, "That’s why you can’t trust white women."  And hashtag my name.  However, I am not a white woman.  There were many times I would feel the vitriol, but be left confused as to what exactly he was trying to do.  I had already heard him reveal so much of my business, via he and Gerald’s recorded phone conversations; as Gerald had apareently called him, and he picked up and engaged him. He got on the phone and had an in depth conversation about me, with the man who , more or less, stole me from him. Thank goodness, he was limited in what he could say, as I  didn't tell him much -because I didn't trust him to hold water. I could only imagine tthe potential of that conversation, if Chimeze knew all that i was thinking. I dont know if he knew it or not, but his  uncontrolled emotional behavior just made him a liability and while I was more than willing to admit that I had royally fucked up, I wasn’t cool with him pretending to be such a pure victim. 
He wasn’t, I thought, as I packed my clothes. 

    He would go until he couldn’t go anymore, and that social media warfare wasn’t my game.  I am more of a quiet thinker.  A planner even.  When something becomes a problem, I do my research and take the time, however much of it is necessary, to solve the issue at hand.  Thinking about how long it had been since we had last spoken, I felt sad… but I knew that I was fighting a real life war with Gerald, especially now that I had filed the criminal case against him.  If he was gunning for me before, the heck knew what was coming next. I know I'd be ready to 'fuck something up', if I felt like someone had put me in jail. Considering Gerald's behavior was so extra typical of an abuser, I was sure this was exactly what he was thinking.

   I had spoken to my Grandmother, on my fathers side, about taking some time to visit with her.  We hadn’t seen each other since I was ten, when she and my mother had a falling out; which resulted in a truncation of our communication.  However, she always seemed to know what I was doing, how I was doing and managed to maintain an up to date address for me - in spite of our lack of direct communication.  Earlier, in March, I had received a letter from my step - cousin, Javier.  He worked for the local police force in my Grandmother’s Cuban town of  Vinales, while my Grandma had a home between there and Soroa, Cuba-on the Western part of the Island.  He was a smart guy, and we had always had our own connection - as children.  He had written me, in Spanish, indicating that my Grandmother was concerned about me, and wanted to invite me down for a trip.  She specifically wanted me to visit for the new year: "I have a feeling that you are going through a lot of interpersonal challenges right now.  Remember that you are my great-great grand-daughter.  Mine."

   "Hermosa Samoa," I smiled at her invocation of the nickname she made up for me.  "Nothing of mine would ever let the devil win.  Nothing of mine would ever give in to laze, and allow problems of this world to overtake her.  Be strong.  Handle your business, clean your apartment top - to bottom, bless it and come see me, child.  There is a lot of work to be done.  Come here ready.  I know you remember me living in, what many would consider a paradise, but this is not a vacation.  Not for you.  Arrive on the 28th of December.  I don’t think I need to tell you to come alone; Javier will be waiting to pick you up at the airport.”

    I was super excited to see my grandmother.  Everyone was always astounded by our strong spiritual connection.  Prior to moving to Cuba, in 1995, she was often sought out as a talented and cherished high priestess.  I was sure she knew about the drugs and drama I had mixed myself into, as she had proven to be clairvoyant in the past.  'I hope she wont ask me to stop dealing,' I thought.  I needed every cent of the money I made dealing to handle these student loans, medical bills and pay for graduate school.  Considering my illness, I knew of no other job that would help me maintain my ability to provide for the lifestyle I had now created.  Don't get me wrong, I respect my family elders and I love my grandmother.  Often it seems like she knows me inside out; troubled or serene, but I wasn’t going to let her tell me to stop enterprising with this underground medical industry.  I really wasn’t interested in hearing about any of that.  Hopefully she would constrict her concern to this Gerald issue; I already lost one job behind the threat of Gerald’s behavior, and I wasn’t in a position - especially not after traveling to Cuba last minute - to let go of, what was now, my only source of income.

   I knew she wouldn’t judge me, but I also knew she had a vested interest in my success and would consider her word – the final word.  She wouldn’t laugh or joke, but I had better be ready to do whatever she deemed necessary – to clean up this mess I had made.  My grandmother wasn’t with the bullshit, especially from me.  I could only hope that she wouldn’t tell me to do anything that I reasonably couldn’t.

   I remember being five and not wanting to clean my room or make the bed, one that she had set up for me specifically during a time I briefly lived with her.  My Grandmother, at a fragile-looking 63, grabbed me firmly by my thin waist, hypnotizing me with a deep calming stare and said, "I don’t think you're cute, I think you're capable.  I will be back in five minutes, the bed will be made and the floor will be clutter free."  She freed me and walked away.  Five minutes later, it was just as she said it would be.  There was minimal backtalk, and I can never recall arguing with her.  It was just whatever she said it would be.  That was that.

   It had been too long, and I knew my grandmother, a well-respected Santeria and Obeah priestess, would give me the perspective I needed - on Chimeze and whatever spiritual element, in addition to the physical, was necessary to combat Gerald.  


   I wasn’t above admitting that this hardship was beyond the physical.  It often felt plain old evil, but if it was, grandma would definitely help me take care of it.  I clicked on a few links and finalized my pretty hefty, last minute, ticket purchase, and packed a book bag with all of my basics.  I didn’t need my expensive camera or anything that would distract, like my iPod.  The vibe from Javier in Grandma’s letter stated that I would have very little time to explore or take pictures.  I suddenly felt a strange thought come over me, as I zipped up my bag, placed my ticket in the front section, and wheeled it to my closet, by the front door.  It would chill there, but in thirty days, I would just grab it and head to the airport at the necessary time.  Also, concealing the bag in the closet would stave off unnecessary inquiries from Gerald.  He wasn’t coming with me.  I didn’t want him with me.  Under direct orders from my grandmother he was summarily excluded; ‘God help him should he stalk me to Cuba," I thought as I decided to check on Chimeze via social media.
 
   After our intense battle earlier in the year, where he blocked me from responding, but not from seeing his posts, calling me everything but a child of God, I had stopped looking.  I had begun therapy and decided to finally engage the battle to rid myself of someone who didn’t want to leave - Gerald.  I didn’t have the time or the wherewithal to engage in a social media battle with anyone intent on breaking me down mentally.  Furthermore, I don’t understand people who think that they can just say whatever or however to a living breathing person, from behind a computer screen.  I had watched Chimeze bitch, like a bitch, with women he once considered his closest friends - online.  I didn’t find it funny or productive, but I let that be his business - until he turned his online thuggery on me.  

   I’m not now, nor have I ever been about that life.  Say what you will online, it is after all a free country that we are living in, but if it’s not directed (at me), I don’t respect it.  And God forbid you do direct something at me, you better be willing to stand behind what you said.  I was shocked and appalled that he would lie about me, to people that didn’t even know me.  People with whom he talked to about me, more than he talked to me - about me.  I was just aghast, that this gainfully employed, grown man thought he could digitally antagonize me, and that I wouldn’t come see about him-in person.  I mean, we had known each other for years - he wasn’t new to me.  He knew my mother, and he had to know she didn’t raise no punk - Gerald scenario excluded.    
Seeing the bitch in him, made me lose a lot of respect for him.
***
   Chimeze worked late nights, at the time, and usually arrived home in the wee hours of the morning - at least for me.  I didn’t want to cause a scene at his workplace, and figured the best way to hash this out in a way that would end in him taking down his slanderous post -where he tagged me and called me a 'gold digger'- would be to quietly confront him at his house.  I could’ve, taken the LIRR and waited for him, but I knew that if I woke up that early to ride the train, he would only be one slick word away from me physically attacking him.  Luckily a family friend, on my father’s side, offered to drive me.  When Chimeze saw me, he actually tried to run me over with his car, in an attempt to avoid the confrontation he had started, like a coward, online.  I slipped on the ice trying to get out of the way of his rental, fell against his bumper and stared at the front wheel barreling toward my head. 

    Luckily he stopped, just in time, to keep from making me a memory.  When I got myself together, because he didn’t offer me any assistance in getting off the ground, he just screamed on me through his driver’s side window.  "Get away from my house, Ryndra!"
I chuckled to myself, as I steadied myself against his car, as I wasn’t sure what house he could be talking about.  The house I stood in front of was owned by his parents, and not by him.  Walking over to the the driver's side window, which he refused to open, choosing instead to throw visual daggers - I confronted him through it.  I knew he could hear me:

   "So, I’m a gold-digger now, Chimeze," I asked, using my index finger to point at myself.  That got him to roll his window down slightly.  "Well, you called me a Crying-Ass Negro!  I didn’t like that," he mewed - sounding like a cow giving birth in a youtube video.
"Wait," I directed, taking a deep breath and mentally preparing for the balance of what was sure to be an immature scene, "So, did you not cry in the parking lot of the LIRR and beg me to work with you - when I told you I was done?  Are you not considered a negro?  Find the lie, Chimeze!  When did I go online and lie about anything yo' ass did or didn’t do?  Tell me," I spat, staring daggers, at him, through the window.

   "Listen, I just want you to leave my house.  I didn’t invite you here.  I don’t want to talk to you," he whined, punching his steering wheel.  I then want on, "Listen… I don’t care what you want.  I don’t want posts on social media about me being a gold-digger.  Did you know that that’s slander?  You better take it down.  This is me asking nicely.  However, riddle me this... Where was I gold-digging; at the site of the house formally known as 'the house you were trying to own,' but allowed to get foreclosed instead,' or was it at the hospital, where I came to collect you from a post car accident?  No… maybe I was digging in your fucked up credit report or even under your twin bed, in your room, at your parent's house - where you live.  And since you like calling people snakes online, please explain what is more snakish; lying about someone online or confronting someone in person, over a lie?  Don’t worry, take all the time you need to answer - I’m right here," I spat.

I paced two steps north, before returning to my original position, in front of his window, by walking back two steps south.

I was angry: about the fall, the trip, about my uncle, who had a front row seat, to me showing out on a man who had never supported or loved me in the way I deserved, and was now attempting to talk shit about me online.  Even so, Chimeze’s next words shocked me:

   "Ryndra, I am calling the police on you," he stated, timidly, as he recited his address to whomever was on the other end of the phone.
"The police?  You're calling the police on me," I questioned in a low, angry voice.  "What, pray tell, will they arrest me for?  Wait, let me guess: will it be for 'inquiring about online slander?' Please, call them!  I can’t wait to see what they say about this, and I KNOW I’m not doing anything illegal so, make your bitch-ass move!" 

    Turns out he had made his bitch-ass move, calling 911 when I was lying in front of his car.  The “whoop-whoop,” indicating their arrival, which was in under ten minutes, was due to him telling them that I had a weapon and was threatening his life.  Standing on the sidewalk, clad in yoga pants and a light jacket, the police could clearly see that I didn’t have a weapon, but that didn’t stop one of their hot-heads, from vocally flexing on me: "Don’t say anything else to him," the officer screamed at me from behind his badge. 

   ‘Badge-Flasher, defending lying Computer thugs, is this what it means to handle business in Queens, NY, I thought, after explaining myself to a calmer police officer, then heading to my family friend's car.  This scene was unexpected, and the calling of the authorities threw me for a loop; I would need both hands to count all the times I assisted Chimeze in avoiding any and all possible confrontations with police.  Particularly since as a young, sometimes Muslim-presenting Black man, driving a luxury vehicle, he was always a target.  I would always jump back in the car with him, using my presence as a shield against any funny business.  While his behavior totally changed my perspective of him, as a man, it didn’t change my intention to make him take that post down.  I decided to just go home and make a plan to handle it with the only man that I still knew to reside in his home - his father.  And handle it, his father did.  Within two days of my package, containing a print-out of every single post mentioning my name negatively, random ranting against domestic violence victims, or documentation of Chimeze’s destructive behavior (i.e.: breaking alarm clocks for not working properly), arriving - all of those posts were gone.

***
   Now, as I checked his page, for the first time in months, I slid quickly to the older post.  Posts from when I first met him; posts that seemed to represent the beginning of this aspect of his social media.  I scrolled and scrolled, until I saw a picture of the second gift he had ever given me; a watch.  I remembered how I had admired it over some meal we shared:

"It’s not very expensive," Chimeze had stated.  "Well, I just like the way it looks, where did you get it," I asked him-fully intending to order and pay for one myself.

Not answering, he unclipped it from his wrist and helped me adjust it to mine.  I modeled it all day, until he returned me home and I called him, when he was five minutes away, to tell him to come get his watch.

“Don’t worry, I am going to get you one, but in white.  That’s just so much more feminine, don’t you think?"

I leaned in the window, to observe the watch one more time, considering his point of view:
"No, I want it in black - just like yours.  If you don’t want to get it in black, dont get it," I said.  About a month later, he presented it to me, in black - as a gift.  I remember kissing him.  It was a warm fuzzy memory, so inconsistent with our last experience.  I started scrolling up, to more recent pictures - when, ten pictures later - a week apart from the picture indicating his purchase of my gift - was a picture of his hand romantically holding the hand of another woman, wearing my watch, in white….



 photo 1_gif-2.gif
MOOD



No comments:

Post a Comment

I totally appreciate this :-)